Sunday, March 29, 2009

"The Prophet Said to Plant a Garden"

We're starting early this year (we planted last week) and already have sprouts. For some reason, I just feel the silly need to start with acutal seeds as opposed to purchased plants and veggies. It must be the need to feel a sense of accomplishment. I'm not sure why but I have always been like that; much like I felt the need to have my first child completely natural which I don't regret but very much enjoyed the Epidutal with my last two children! There's no going back!

I love gardening - truly. It is so meditating. I love getting my hands in the soil, feeling the earth and watching these amazing plants produce "fruit." It's pretty rewarding.

Here we are planting green beans, sugar snap peas, watermelon, bell peppers, zucchini, arugula, spinach , lettuce, basil, Italian parsley, rosemary, and an assortment of perrenial flowers.

Ella and Aidan can't get enough of it so far. I love that they love pulling weeds! We'll see how long this lasts!





5 comments:

mindy said...

Tell me what you planted them in. It looks so great and I want to do that!

Megan B ♥ said...

Those are so great! I am going to ACTUALLY try tomatoes this year. I planned it last year but, well, kind of lost control of the summer last year!

Nikki said...

Me too, me too! What is that you planted them in? How did you learn to do that? I really want to do it this year.

Carrie said...

We also recently planted some things outside (spring garden) and started some seeds inside. It is so fun to see them grow. Samuel loves it too! I totally agree about getting your hands in the soil, etc. I think there are many lessons to learn with a garden!

Emily said...

I'm determined to do a little gardening this summer, even if we move. I bought seeds for three different types of peas:) Can't wait to see pictures of how your garden progresses. Hope you are enjoying Life of Pi, I really liked that one.

I'm a Esme! I found out through TwilightersAnonymous.com. Which Twilight Female Are You? Take the quiz and find out!
Take the Quiz and Share Your Results!
You are thoughtful and care very deeply for your family. A loving home is of great importance to you and you always try to make people feel welcome. Although you have a great capacity to love, you also have a great capacity to hurt, so at times you can be sensitive. You're firm when you need to be, but people trust your judgment and appreciate the kind way you always handle things.

Playing Opposites

I have been discussing opposites with the kids lately. Today (Oct. 1 ) we were doing an opposites puzzle and Aidan was doing amazingly well (turned 3, 3 months ago). There was a picture of fire with the word "hot." Here's the conversation: Me - What's the opposite of hot? Aidan - warm. Me - Well, not quite. Okay, fire is hot. What is ice? Aidan - slippery! LOL :)

Aidan - "See, I can do opposites with my toes!" ??