This is how it all began:
Nicholas decided to ask his date by making a chocolate cake with the word "PROM?" spelled out in orange and blue M&Ms, with orange frosting (Timpviews colors). I promise. All these details will be important when it comes time for your kids to attend high school! His date attends Provo High and they have been friends for some time. This is actually our second cake which started at 8:30 pm. When it was done, we put it outside to cool to make it cool more quickly. Matt was down working in the basement with our dog, Bo. When Nicholas went to check on the cake 15 minutes later, it was 3/4 eaten, yes by our dog. Nicholas was pretty upset and he was in a time crunch to have his buddies assist in the asking. By now it is 9:15. I bake another one. . . . Here it is. We didn't have enough room for the "?" It'll have to do. It's 10:15 pm.
This photo was wrapped in plastic and placed between the two cake layers. Nicholas and Chloe have been friends for some time (old ward) so, it the tone of this photo was acceptable.
We were getting a little nervous as we had not received a reply after a few days. Did she know who it was from? Did she actually get the cake? Is her answer 'no?' All kinds of thoughts went through our minds. Finally, the doorbell rings at 9:30 pm five days later. Chloe had a silver doile with a "glass" slipper on it all in the cake dish Nicholas gave to her. It said "Yes! If you promise to have me home by midnight."
I thought it was really cute. Oh, the memories!
We went "shopping for a tux. It was so much fun. The clerk at the shop asked if we were "together." I think he was on drugs." I think he looks rather handsome if I do say so myself!

Chloe was one of my Beehives in are old ward. She's awesome. I'm glad Nicholas asked her.
Wait! Is this really happening? Am I really a mother of a 17-year old? :)










6 comments:
I love it. What a clever way to ask. You do not seem old enough to have a 17-year old.
Seriously Susan, I can see why the tux guy was confused- you look WAY too good to have a 17 year old!
It was super cute how Nick asked his date and how she responded!
I'm glad that I've got quite a few years before the whole prom thing. I imagine it is even crazier as the mother of a daughter! :)
What great ideas!! I can't believe all that is involved in just the ASKING to prom these days. I wonder what it's like back in NY where I grew up. I am totally going to have to remember that glass slipper for Kinley! That is AWESOME!!! I wouldn't have been able to stand the suspense of waiting several days for an answer!!
How fun! I second Mindy and Katie - that is really funny that the tux guy asked if you were "together". I also loved the way that Nick asked - so clever.
That is so cute! I wonder if it's just a Utah thing to ask and answer in such elaborate ways. My husband grew up around here and it was always a big deal for kids his age... I don't remember it being like that in Cali.
I love that you took all your kids on such a long hike and they did so well. How exciting to get so close to Arches. Absolutely beautiful and impressive pictures.
I am in SHOCK that he is going to prom. How is this possible that he can be that old? I can't beleive it. Oh, he is so handsome. I loved the way he asked her and her response was so cute! I was so sad that his first cake got eaten, but I loved that the store clerk asked you if you were together. That rocks! :)
Post a Comment